If you are unable or do not wish to attend a room auction you can place an Absentee or Telephone Bid online.
Placing a bid is easy:
- Step 1 - Register or Sign In to your account (please note that your online bidding account will not work on this website - you will need to complete a new registration)
- Step 2 - Choose the item you wish to bid on and click on "Absentee Bid".
- Step 3 - Complete the details of your Absentee Bid and click "Place Bid".
- Step 3 - Confirm your "Bid List Contents" and click "Continue to the next step".
- Step 4 - Confirm your "Shipping" and "Payment" details - then click "Continue to the next step".
Your bid will then be confirmed online and a confirmation email will be sent to your nominated email address.
You can view your Absentee bids by clicking on "Current Bids" or "Pending Bids" at the top of the webpage.
If you need any help with your Absentee Bid or have any questions please contact us.
- Absentee Bidding is a term that is used when you are not able to attend a room auction but still wish to bid at the auction.
- Your Absentee Bid can either take the form of a Maximum Bid or a Telephone Bid.
- Your Absentee Bid includes GST but does not include the buyer's premium.
- The latest your Absentee Bid can be submitted online is 3 hour prior to the start of the auction start time.
- To place an Absentee Bid, you need to complete the online Absentee Bid form that can be found on the website page of item you wish to bid for.
- If the Absentee Bid form is not fully completed it will not be able to be processed.
- Pre-authorisation of $1 will be taken to validate your credit card when you submit your Absentee Bid. If your bid is successful, full payment will be taken from the credit card provided, and the goods will be sent out by secured & insured post within 3 working days, or can be collected from our Sydney Head Office. Our Customer Service Team will contact you prior to shipping for further verification and shipping confirmation.
- If multiple Absentee Bids for the same amount are received, the bid that is received first will be given precedence.
- Absentee Bidding is a complimentary service offered by First State Auctions.
With this type of bid you provide us with instructions about the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the particular lot in question.
Your bid is left with the auctioneer and executed on your behalf using up the amount required to "knock out" any competition during the sale and against any reserve price (if applicable).
This doesn’t mean that you will pay the maximum amount – If the auction activity is at a lower level on the day you may get the item for less. If room bids go above the maximum bid then the Absentee Bid is unsuccessful.
Tips for Successful Maximum Bidding
- Check the auction estimate on the item – this is available online after successful login. Auction estimates are an estimate of what an item might sell for at auction, based on what similar items have sold for at previous auctions.
- By browsing our extensive list of past sales you will get a good idea of the approximate amount you may expect to pay for similar jewellery items.
- The most effective strategy to win an item at auction is to bid the maximum you are willing to pay.
With this type of bid you participate in the live auction as though you were present in the auction room.
An experienced staff member who is at the auction will phone you a few minutes prior to your indicated lot going up for auction and will bid on your behalf.
Once bidding begins, we will keep you informed as the bids progress and ask you at each stage if you wish to continue bidding. This will carry on until you are successful, or tell us that you want to stop bidding.